He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
- Psalm 107:29

"In oceans deep my faith will stand/
I will call upon your name/
And keep my eyes above the waves/
When oceans rise/
My soul will rest in your embrace/
For I am yours and you are mine."
- Hillsong United, Oceans

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

for now, so long Dick Clark

I spend way too much time thinking about death.

It hasn't always been this way, but since I more or less hit adulthood it's kind of become a thing. So today, when I heard the incomparable Dick Clark had passed away, I turned off the laptop, fed the dogs so they'd stop bugging me, and sat in my room, thinking about death. (And yes, I'm aware that sounds really depressing and sad. I await my offer for a TLC show.)

I mean, come on, does it get any more apple pie than Dick Clark?

It's always sad when a public figure dies, especially one that had a career over multiple generations. But, to me, it's just a little sadder to hear about Mr. Clark's death. For those of my generation, born in the 1980s, we remember him, reliable as the sunrise, every year in Times Square for New Year's Eve. For those of my parents' generation, and even grandparents', they remember him on American Bandstand and beyond.

I think for a lot of us now, in the 21st Century, us post-modern folks who are beyond such quaintness, he reminds us of a time when we were better. Not always and not perfectly and in some ways worse, but maybe, just enough that it counts, better.

And when I think about death, what I'm really thinking about is life.

I still believe there's wise blood in these veins, and if we're quiet enough to listen, we can hear it telling us which way to go.

I'll never understand why God gives out things like firework nights in a field behind the high school, countdowns with strangers in Times Square, closing your eyes and dancing and feeling a cute dress swirl around your legs, the smile of someone you don't even know but warms up your whole insides.

Dick Clark didn't deserve any of the good things he was given, but then, none of us do. We might work hard and get somewhere. But the truly good things of this world are only God's to give.

And the hard things are his to give too; Dick Clark lost his only brother in World War II.

But good or bad, there's only one life. As many chances as there are stars in the sky, but just one life. And who knows what shape a life will take? Or when it will be taken from us?

So when my time comes, I hope that I can say I lived it, bursting at the seams with love. That I cried when I needed to, laughed as often as possible, brought as much good into this world as I could, praised God in all things, never forgot to say 'thank you', swam in the ocean as often as possible, and left everything better than I found it.

It's my hope and prayer that tonight, Dick Clark is with Jesus in Paradise; it's certainly my prayer. And I hope that we'll all get there one day, make it through this wild and crazy and wonderful life we've been given.

For now, so long Dick Clark...





No comments:

Post a Comment