He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
- Psalm 107:29

"In oceans deep my faith will stand/
I will call upon your name/
And keep my eyes above the waves/
When oceans rise/
My soul will rest in your embrace/
For I am yours and you are mine."
- Hillsong United, Oceans

Friday, December 23, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 1)


1. 

My first Quick Takes post ever! I thought it would be fun to do one right before Christmas because I probably won't be blogging again, or around the blogosphere, much until 2012. 
So yesterday I tried my hand at this amazing recipe for sugar cookies from The Pioneer Woman. I haven't tried something like this in a while and since I couldn't find the mechanical mixer thing I mixed everything by hand. Though it killed my wrist, it was ultimately worth it.


And even Jazz was helping out!


2. 

Since I'm off-duty from the job hunt for the holidays I've been catching up on my pop culture. This is probably not a good thing because it's really only made me more frustrated with the state of the union here. 

Case in point: Barbara Walter's "Most Fascinating People of 2011" show. Sigh. That would be the one with Herman Cain, Katy Perry, Derek Jeter (my love), and the Kardashians. Yeah. 

It was kind of funny, though, how they kept referring to each other as "The Family". I don't know what to make of this reality tv epidemic. The culture tells us that Kardashian-like excess and wealth and fame are the ideal. Watching shows like this reminds me to not fall into that type of thinking. Would I want that life? It might make things easier in the short-term (like paying off loan debt...) but ultimately? I doubt it. Thanks, but no thanks. 




3. 

Speaking of tv, I was so excited to watch the Christmas at St. Olaf concert on PBS. I believe it's been an annual tradition since 1902. Beautiful choral and orchestral music from the students there, it really is worth watching if you can. And they don't do all the typical songs you've been hearing over and over. The college has a Scandinavian heritage that really comes out in their music. And also they have a "Viking Chorus". Oh yeah. 

The earliest moon of wintertime, is not so round and fair, as was the ring of glory on, the helpless Infant there...
Come kneel before the radiant Boy, who brings you beauty, peace, and joy...

So lovely... I think the Christmas season has to be my favorite time of year. 

Here's a nice little video about them from PBS: 



4. 

On an unrelated note, it is FREEZING!! 

Normally I can deal with this because a) it's New England, and b) there's snow to play in, but this year there's no snow! 

5. 

I am very excited for midnight mass this year, for some reason. There's something about leaving the warmth of home to go out into the cold and dark. As if we too are the shepherds following the Northern star at night. 

This is a good article from the New Liturgical Movement about preparing yourself for Christmas Eve. 

6. 

During mass and prayer lately I've been getting flashes of a story idea to write. It's kind of a nativity scene thing and I've been feeling pushed to write it. I think I might put it up here before Epiphany. I'm a little nervous, though, because I haven't done something like that before but, well see! 

7. 

Things have been kind of difficult for me lately because I feel very uncertain in regards to God's plan for my life. I would like to ask you all for prayers and I will be praying for you! 

I've also been thinking about goals and dreams for the New Year. Normally I put things like lose weight, eat better, but this year I want to really think deeper. 

Anyway, on that note, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! 

3 comments:

  1. 1-The cookies look delicious and your dog is SOO cute!
    2- The Kardashians make me sick.
    7- Prayers for you! :D

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your first 7QT! I read them for months trying to figure out what they were before starting to write them! Now I LOVE them! According to Problogger LIST POSTS are GREAT for search engines! Plus ppl LOVE reading lists bc they are easy to skim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you guys! I'm not sure how regular I'll be with this but I'll try! And, yeah, Kardashians, ew. lol Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete