He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
- Psalm 107:29

"In oceans deep my faith will stand/
I will call upon your name/
And keep my eyes above the waves/
When oceans rise/
My soul will rest in your embrace/
For I am yours and you are mine."
- Hillsong United, Oceans

Friday, August 19, 2011

Five Minute Friday: New

Welcome to my first Five Minute friday! Today, for five minutes, I just write whatever comes to mind. No editing, no tinkering. Today's prompt is 'new'.

GO

New. Outside my window it's about to start raining. Pine trees, grass, a small road, other houses. A view that I've had for a long time now. Sometimes I long for something new to look at. I long to live in a big city where there are people and cars and commotion, or on other, quieter days, a view overlooking a deep, lush, green valley below tall mountaintops that have been there longer than any of us. Now it's thundering, and soon the tap-tap-tap of rain, strong and fierce, but surely brief will sound against the side of this window. Aren't I always looking for a new view? Haven't I always been dissatisfied with the view in front of me? Wanting another's. Ooh, California looks nice, can you imagine a view of the beach? Or maybe of a huge fountain, sculpted gardens, multiple tennis courts?

Most of the year my view here is of a blanket of white. Crystals hanging of trees. Bitter cold, the kind that hurts. And I hate it, for all eight months. What if my view was actually of another person's living room, because there was no wall between us? Or of a garbage dump? Maybe what I don't need is a new view, but the me that is loved by God just as I am. Maybe I just need to find her.

STOP

No comments:

Post a Comment