He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.
- Psalm 107:29

"In oceans deep my faith will stand/
I will call upon your name/
And keep my eyes above the waves/
When oceans rise/
My soul will rest in your embrace/
For I am yours and you are mine."
- Hillsong United, Oceans

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Brief Merton post

We are words that are meant to respond to Him, to answer Him, to echo Him, and even in some way to contain and signify Him. Contemplation is this echo. It is a deep resonance in the inmost center of our spirit, in which our very life loses its separate voice and re-sounds with the majesty and mercy of the Hidden One. ... The contemplative is at the same time the question and the answer.
A lot to take in, right? I've been chewing on this quote lately from Thomas Merton a la the New Seeds of Contemplation. What a treasure this man is/was to the Church. His writings are so challenging yet at the same time, they make sense. I would encourage anyone interested in the contemplatives, or this aspect of Christian spirituality to take a look at his stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment